1 facing charges after small gas fire forces evacuations at Springs apartment complex
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - An apartment complex was evacuated Wednesday after residents smelled a strong odor of gasoline.
Police now say the odor originated from a small gas fire that was started in the building.
The incident was reported at the Woodbine Apartments near Bijou and Swope just after 1 p.m.
Police were told a man was seen at the complex hauling a gas can. He was located by officers at the complex.
“Further investigation revealed the male fell with the gas can ... causing a small fire which was immediately extinguished,” police said.
The man was ticketed for reckless endangerment. Police tell 11 News the charges are because he was in his apartment building carrying a lighter with the gas can.
Residents were allowed back in their homes within about an hour.
Copyright 2023 KKTV. All rights reserved.